Sunday, August 06, 2006

Grandpa Jimenez is no longer with us.


Phillip's grandfather Edward Jimenez died this morning at 6:30am in San Antonio. He had suffered various illnesses in the past months. He collapsed yesterday and was taken to the ER where he never regained consciousness. Family from all over came to see him and shortly after his blood pressure decreased until no more.

Grandpa Pooch (as Phillip called him) took Phillip under his wing when his parents divorced. Grandpa introduced Phillip to bowling and soon it became his hobby too. When Phillip lived in San Antonio he'd pick up Grandpa once a week for a night of league bowling. Phillip says that he is grateful for Grandpa's care, concern and patience for him. He was and always will be a powerful influence in Phillip's life.

Grandpa Jimenez was the cutest and sweetest little old man I knew. When Phillip and I began dating he was the first to make me feel welcome. I remember a time when I was still trying to impress the family. I had offered to iron a shirt for him. He gave it to me hesitantly. As I attempted to iron the shirt I noticed that the iron had leaked and made a huge stain on the front pocket. I was so embarrassed and was certain that he knew exactly how to work the ancient iron. He was willing to risk losing his shirt in order to help me feel useful and accepted. He took the shirt and hid it so no one would know. What a sweet man! We will miss him greatly.

Please pray for a time of reflection and unity during this time. Also pray for peace and strength for the family, especially for Grandma.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Imee, that is such a sweet story about Grandpa Jimenez. I'll be praying for you guys.